When we once begin to form good resolutions, God gives us every opportunity of carrying them out. ~ St John Chrysostom
This is the time of the year to start looking back at the past and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It’s time to reflect on the changes we want to make in our life and resolve to follow through on those changes.
This is the time of the year when most of the people start making their new year resolutions. But the truth is that most people are not going to keep their resolutions all year long. Everyone starts out with the best of intentions but the worst of strategies and eventually they fail when by giving in to temptation. The loftier the resolution, the tougher it is to hang on to. It takes steely nerves to live by what you resolve.
So instead of making new year resolutions, I have made a list of 12 things which I plan to do over the next 12 months. Here it is, a positive ‘to-do’ list for the upcoming year – 12 things to start doing for myself:
- Learning a new skill: On countless occasions, I say to myself, “I wish I knew how to do this.” There are a no. of things that we all want to learn but various excuses come in our way. With the vast amount of knowledge online, you’re now your only excuse. So stop making excuses and gear up to learn something new in the coming year. I am going to focus on sketching in the coming year, what about you?
- Fit in Fitness: We all know the importance of a healthy diet and exercise. Still, it’s one of the most neglected area in our life. I have been sick for most of the year and so almost no exercise for me. Instead of making a resolution, my focus is going to be making healthy eating and physical activity a new lifestyle.
- 5 am Club: 5 am club is a productivity method of rising early and consistently so as to be able to accomplish more during the day. I enjoy meditating in the early hours when everything is so quiet and serene. But I don’t do it daily, so focus will be on being an early riser daily.
- Help others: Whether you choose to spend time helping out at your local orphanage, mentoring a child, or donating to charity, there are many non-profit volunteer organizations that could really use your help.
- Get out of debt: Money has been a source of stress for me and countless others in the past year. Take a serious look at your finances and take a pledge to live within your means. It’s a promise that will repay itself many times over in the year ahead.
- Declutter your home: It’s been a while since I have been decluttering my house but a lot still needs to be done. In fact, I have realized that decluttering is an on-going process. The moment you become careless, clutter will start accumulating. If you still are bogged down by all the clutter in your house, the time to start is NOW!
- Simplify your life: If stress is wearing you down, it’s time to simplify your life. For everyone who is overwhelmed by the increasing demands in their lives, slow down and find peace of mind by cutting down on unnecessary commitments and simplifying your life.
- Keeping a journal: I have been keeping a journal for quite some years. Many people keep journals as a record of the day’s happenings and their feeling towards them. Some write in a journal to explore their thoughts. Some use the journal to jot down their blessings. You can do anything you want in your journal. It’s your personal space.
- Savour the moment: Not only it’s important to live in the present, but it’s equally important to enjoy each and every moment of life. An important thing to remember about life is that in all you do make sure that you enjoy it, because with every minute that passes, lies time spent that you will not get back.
- Making happiness a habit: Money and circumstances have nothing to do with happiness. The real secret to happiness is making being happy a habit! With practice and patience, I am going to see the upside of things my second nature.
- Count your blessings Instead of worrying about everything that is wrong in your life, focus on what you are blessed with. Learn to appreciate the small things in your life, for one day you might look back and realize that those were the big things. I keep a gratitude journal and write in it daily.
- Be the change you want to see – The only way to raise yourself up is to raise others up – to raise your world up – to raise all of life just a little higher. Joy comes to you when you give it. Give one hour a week for the betterment of your society.
Remember, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Whatever it is you dream about, start taking small, logical steps every day to make it happen. Get out there and DO something!
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved