Have you ever got a tooth extracted? I got two teeth extracted a couple of months ago- something which was quite difficult and scary for me. After all, I had been procrastinating it for over a year. Two teeth gone in less than a week! Not to mention the enormous pain I was in which ultimately led me to overcome my fear and let the dentist do his job.
And like every other experience, this too taught me some invaluable lessons:
1. Don’t procrastinate Procrastination makes easy things hard, hard things harder. As Christopher Parker so aptly said,” Procrastination is like a credit card: it’s a lot of fun until you get the bill.” I would have been spared from a lot of pain only if I would have stopped putting off my appointment with the dentist to a later date.
2. Overcome your fears Fear is only as deep as the mind allows. If you are distressed by anything, the pain is not due to that thing but due to your fear of that thing and only you have the power to overcome that fear at any moment. Life is too short to let fears decide your fate for you.
3. Be compassionate If you want to make an immediate connection with others, practice compassion. I believe compassion is one of those few things we can practice that will bring happiness in our lives and of others too. My dentist was so compassionate and patient throughout that he could immediately connect to me. No wonders, I am going to recommend him to all my friends.
4. Have faith Always have faith as it allows you to cope. Trying times will pass as they always do. No matter how much pain and suffering you are going through, just have faith that this too shall pass.
5. Enjoy the inevitable We all know that change is inevitable but still we resist change or spend time wishing things were the same. Most of the times, neither is useful. Control what you can, prepare when you can and then go with the flow. If something is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it!
Just taking my own advice would have saved me days of suffering. But all’s well that ends well. I was happy that finally I was done with the extraction thing, learnt some valuable things for future and enjoyed the present moment relishing ice-creams of all flavors. At least, I had a good excuse for digging in calories!
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved