What is it that brightens up your day when you are feeling a little under the water? A reassuring smile, a kind word from a friend or an affectionate hug? You can’t really live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you. Just imagine how beautiful this world would be if everyone is kind and compassionate!
Kindness is just like a boomerang. It always returns. Giving begins the process of receiving. Give to others whatever you want in your life. If you are seeking joy then give joy to others. If happiness is what you desire, then spread happiness wherever you go. Give love if you want love. Abundance increases in every aspect of your life when you learn to be kind and generous.
A random act of kindness is a valuable present that costs nothing but is always appreciated. And it’s not just the receiver who is benefitted. The giver too receives the return gift of joy, happiness and a sense of fulfilment.
So how should we get started? Here I have listed a few ideas. Put them into practice and also create some of your own:
- Smile Give a stranger one of your smiles today. Your smile might be the only sunshine he sees all day.
- A word of appreciation Sometimes a little appreciation is all that we need. At the same time, let us not forget to appreciate others around us.
- Hugs As Johnny Ray Ryder has said, “There’s something in a simple hug that always warms the heart, It welcomes us back home And makes it easier to part…”
- Donate old clothes, books, sweets or toys to a charity or an orphanage.
- Feed the hungry Don’t forget to share a slice with the less fortunate when eating out or when you see someone hungry.
- Flower power A bunch of flowers is the sweetest gift that can be given on all occasions. Try the flower power by giving out rose buds to strangers.
- Volunteer for a cause Be a volunteer for a cause close to your heart by devoting some hours every week from your busy schedule.
- Spend time with the elderly The elderly people have so much to offer, not the least of which is precious life experience. Visit an old age home or spend time with the elders of your family. They will love it and this is definitely a time well spent.
- Kindness to animals Feed a stray animal in the street, feed grains to birds or keep an earthen bowl filled with water outside for the birds.
- Online donations You can donate money online for some cause. There are so many organizations who are doing amazing work and they are constantly in need of money to support their work.
- Thank You Cards Put your creativity to use by making some beautiful thank you cards at home and send them to the ones who have helped you in the past.
- Books Gift a book to a friend, donate your old books to a library or old textbooks of your child to someone needy. You can also leave books at random places anonymously.
- Be anonymous Send someone a small gift anonymously.
- Surprise treat Treat a friend to a movie for no reason, pay for the drinks on the next table at a café or buy chocolates to a kid in the departmental store.
- Domestic chores Help your mother in the kitchen, wash our neighbour’s car or walk your friend’s dog.
- Cleanliness drive Pick up some rubbish in the road or litter from the park which would otherwise be lying around.
- Giving up Give up your seat for someone. Give another driver your parking spot. Let someone jump the queue at the bank or ticket counter.
- Stretch your hand first Extend the hand of friendship to someone new or if you have fallen out with an old friend, be the first to set things right.
- Sharing your talents If you are good at cooking, painting, knitting, dancing, public speaking or any other creative form then you can teach it to others for free. You can also teach the underprivileged kids for free.
- Drop boxes Donation boxes are often placed at departmental stores or hospitals etc. Make sure to put in some change in the drop box.
Keep doing the random acts of kindness. Don’t think what difference it will make. Do your bit. No matter how big or small, every act of kindness makes a difference.
© 2018 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved