“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” ~ Aristotle
Happiness is what we all seek yet not everyone is happy. If we have 10 reasons to be sad and depressed, there are 100 reasons to be happy. It all depends on the way we look at life and the way we handle stress.
Happiness is a choice. For every minute we are angry or annoyed, we lose 60 seconds of happiness. If you really want to be happy, you first need to make a conscious decision that you are going to be happy no matter what.Take responsibility for your happiness.
The common mistake we make is that we become dependent on others for our happiness. Someone appreciates us and we become happy, someone criticizes us and we become sad and depressed.Life isn’t about pleasing everybody.The other hurdle in the path to happiness is that we keep postponing our happiness for future. Remember that happiness is right here, right now.We just have to condition ourselves to be unconditionally happy in the present.
Begin today by taking responsibility for your happiness. Here are ten ways to be happy:
- Stop cribbing, start living: Stop complaining about the lack in your life. This will only add up to your misery. Being grateful for what you have will bring you a deeper sense of happiness.Be happy and content with your life by counting your blessings. Observe the richness in your life. When you appreciate what you have, what you have appreciates in value.
- Don’t strive for perfection: Don’t expect perfection from yourself or anybody else. If people can’t handle your imperfections, it is their fault. George Orwell has rightly said,”The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.” The thing that is really hard is giving up on becoming perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself.
- Don’t expect: Blessed is he who expects nothing for he will never be sad or disappointed. Lower your expectations to be happy. Expectations in your life just lead to giant disappointments.Life will be a lot more easier and happier if you learn to keep your expectations low.
- Keep smiling: A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.A smile is happiness you will find right under your nose.Don’t wait for people to smile. Show them how. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- Give 100%: Whatever you do in life, give your 100% to it. Put your heart, mind and soul even to your smallest acts.This is the secret of success. When you give your 100%, you have no regrets about the outcome.
- Let go: Holding on is being brave, but letting go and moving on is often what makes us stronger and happier. Though it may sound simple but listen to Jeremy Aldana ‘s advice, “Pain will leave you, when you let go.”
- Be positive: Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.Be positive, smile and make every moment count. Every day may not be good but there’s something good in everyday. In the words of Francesca Reigler, “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.”
- Random acts of kindness: Helping others gives immense satisfaction and happiness. Dalai Lama is so right in saying, “When we feel love and kindness towards others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”Make someone’s life more beautiful by contributing in your own small way.
- Live in the present: Be in the moment. Instead of worrying about your assignment while you have dinner with your family, focus on the here and now — the food, the company, the conversation. Practice mindfulness.
- Yoga, meditation & Sudarshan Kriya: Yoga takes you into the present moment, the only place where life exists. Plant the seeds of yoga and meditation in your life and reap the fruits of happiness and peace of mind. Another powerful tool that can transform your life is ‘Sudarshan Kriya’- a unique breathing technique that eliminates stress, fatigue and negative emotions such as anger, frustration and depression, leaving you calm yet energized, focused yet relaxed. Constant inner peace and serenity can be yours. Take the first step today.
Happiness is a choice. The choice is yours. Choose happiness. Make happiness a habit.
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved