Everybody is going through a lot of stress these days. No matter how well off you are or how successful you are , there is stress in everybody’s life. We suffer from a thousand artificial anxieties and cares. Stress is like a slow poison which is slowly killing the quality of our lives,isn’t it?
So how can you reduce stress and move towards a happier,calmer life? There was a point of time when I used to be always stressed but over the years, I have learnt to more or less overcome stress in my life by using a few techniques. Here’s what I do and what many people also do:
- Slow down There is more to life than increasing its speed. For fast-acting relief, try slowing down. As a famous English poet has said “What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare!”
- Music Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Music is the medicine of the mind. Whenever I feel low, music always uplifts my mood. The choice of music may vary according to the mood. But when you are tired or stressed out , then soft romantic numbers or instrumental music is the best. My stress busters are the bhajans and Harinam Sankirtan.
- Exercise/Yoga It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigor. A good rigorous workout can make you forget all the tensions. Even better than exercising in gym is a nature walk. And not to forget Yoga! Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind.
- Spend time with family/pets Playing with my kid or my pets always cheers me up. Little family rituals like eating together, chatting over tea or playing board games can be good stress relievers and so is playing or cuddling with your pets.
- Follow your passion Throughout the day, we are busy in so many activities but how many of those we truly enjoy? At least find some time in the day for following your passion or hobby. It might be different for different people. I enjoy reading a good book at the end of the day.
- Learn to say ‘No’ Sometimes we over-burden ourselves by making too many commitments just because we are afraid of saying no.We know that we won’t be able to fulfill the commitments but still stress ourselves by saying yes. Learn to say ‘No’ at times for your own good.
- Hot bath/Massage There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them. Or go for a good massage if you can afford it!
- Meditation A few minutes everyday with yourself in silence works wonders for your well-being. Make daily meditation a part of your life and see the difference. You can do guided meditations or simply sit cross-legged with your eyes closed and focus on your breathing.
- Sudarshan Kriya Sudarshan Kriya is a unique breathing technique which eliminates stress, fatigue and negative emotions such as anger, frustration and depression, leaving you calm yet energized, focused yet relaxed. Learn Sudarshan Kriya at your nearest Art of Living Center for a happy,stress free life.
- Random acts of Kindness A kind gesture or helping someone in need or any selfless act to cheer someone up brings happiness to the doer as well.Try it and see how good it feels!
- Chanting Chanting the Hare Krishna mahamantra is so peaceful and blissful. One feels connected to the Supreme Lord while chanting the holy names. And when one is surrendered to the divine, one doesn’t need to stress about anything.
The methods above are sure to help you in getting rid of the unwanted stress in your life. And I recommend you try them and incorporate them in your life for a better, healthier,stress-free you!
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved