“Being defeated is often temporary, giving up makes it permanent” ~Marilyn von Savant
At times, we all feel a little low or frustrated or even a little depressed. Things not going too well or challenges and hardships in life or plain moodiness might play the spoilsport in an otherwise smooth life. Feeling low can interfere with our goals because we don’t feel like doing anything at that time and even when we do, our performance is half-hearted and thus not up to the mark.
Being a typical Cancerian , mood swings are quite common to me and they might hamper my life if I don’t take action to shrug it off. Here are some of the things that work best for me:
1. Meditate Meditation has been proven in countless studies to have significant positive effects on mood. When I meditate, I can immediately feel the positive difference—my mood lifts up, anxiety melts away and a sense of peace & calm dawns.
2. Play some lively music Any “how to pick yourself up when feeling down” checklist of must-do things must include music. I like to listen to Bryan Adams, Enrique Iglesias, George Michael or some soulful devotional music. The feel-good music differs time to time but always results in an uplifted mood.
3. Do Something Fun Some setbacks will cause you to sulk for a few hours or days. If you feel that you need to snap out of it, try something fun. Do something exciting like watching a movie, joining a dance class, trekking, traveling to a new place or just talking to a loved one.
4. Take Time To Unwind Relax and unwind by going for a relaxing spa, going to your favourite restaurant for dinner or playing with your pets. It is important to let yourself relax and rejuvenate.
5. Believe in yourself Write down all the positive things you possess. Let go of all negative emotions and tell yourself that you can achieve anything as long as you put in your 100% efforts.
6. Get Away Get away from the day to day worries by taking some ‘Me’ time to reminisce by checking in a nice hotel, going to a friend’s house for the weekend or just locking yourself up in your comfortable room the whole day. I switch off from the world by going away to Art of Living’s Art of Silence Course at least once a year.
7. Count your blessings Make a list of everything in your life you are grateful for. When things are looking bleak, it may be difficult to think of things you are grateful for, but try harder. Find the good in every bad occasion. Be grateful for what you have. Maybe you have been so focused on these little frustrations and failures that you have been regularly overlooking the good ones. Start making that list now.
8. Get organized Sometimes we are depressed simply because we are overwhelmed with all the clutter around us. Getting clutter out of your space is a perfect way to de-stress. Simply decluttering can be a big relief — you’re getting things under control and that alone can pick up your mood.
9. Exercise When you’re feeling a bit down in the dumps, the least thing you’d want to do is exercise. But just do it! Taking a walk, going for a run, going to the gym, aerobics or yoga— get going and do it now for that instant emotional lift.
10. Pamper yourself Stop lying there feeling pity for yourself. Getting out of this emotional slump can be as simple as taking a good, long shower. Feeling clean and fragrant and wearing crisp, clean clothes can work wonders on your mood. Brush your teeth, comb your hair, try to look good as much as possible, groom and wear your new clothes. Anything you need to do to look and feel good, do it.
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved