Sometimes, and we all know the feeling, Mondays can be a real struggle. Monday Morning Blues: Don’t you just hate it? To wake up every Monday morning and drag yourself to work? Yet another Monday and it’s really an effort to get out of bed!
The impact of Monday morning blues can be devastating. More people have heart attacks on a Monday morning than any other day of the week. There’s actually a scientific explanation behind those dreaded Monday morning blues. Our internal clocks naturally operate on a day that is longer than 24 hours. By the time Monday rolls around each week, we’ve built up a sleep deficit of at least an hour.
Of course, the weekend revelries and facing another work week don’t help matters. The bed has never seemed more comfortable than on Monday mornings. The thought of going to work and facing the manager seems like a nightmare.
But sometimes, Monday mornings can be blissful too. One just needs to be motivated enough to take on the world. Stop scowling and follow these simple tips to beat the Monday morning blues:
• Avoid sleeping in or staying up too late during the weekend.
• Allow for enough time for relaxation during the weekend. Don’t pile up all your domestic chores for the weekend.
• Once you wake up on Monday, don’t keep lying around on the bed. Begin your day with a few stretching exercises and yoga which will energize you for the day ahead.
• Opt for a coffee in the morning. Caffeine indeed can give a much needed alertness to your morning blues.
• Dress up smartly. You’d be surprised to see how much your clothes can affect your mood.
• Treat yourself in the morning by having your favorite breakfast.
• Have everything laid out the night before. This can save you a couple of minutes in the morning.
• Plan your day or week on Sunday. Getting organised by making a to-do list brings clarity.
• Drive to workplace listening to happy songs in your car stereo. Music can instantly uplift your mood.
• Count your blessings in the morning.
• Be affirmative. Tell yourself what a beautiful day it is!
• Call up a friend for a quick, short conversation.
• Remember that happiness is a choice, so choose happiness.
• Greet everyone with a smile.
• Take short breaks during the day. Pause and take deep, long breaths.
What’s your favorite way to cheer up on Monday? Tell me in the comments below!
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved