Sketching is my newly acquired hobby. I have been drawing sketches in my free time and reading a lot about different sketching techniques online. I am still a beginner but that didn’t deter me from attempting portrait sketches.
Portrait sketches are quite difficult as it’s not easy to draw facial features correctly. It needs a lot of practice and patience. But I have always been an impatient person and so right from the start, I wanted to draw beautiful portraits. I surf a lot of sketches online whenever I am free. Some of them are so realistic and beautiful that it makes me wonder if I will ever be able to draw that way.
Some time back, I made a sketch of Emma Watson which went horribly wrong. It somehow looked like Emma but a quite older Emma (May be Emma will look like this 15-20 years from now!)
I really sulked afterwards and even contemplated stopping sketching thinking that it’s not my cup of tea. But even that failed sketch taught me some valuable lessons:
- Take baby steps towards the goal. Don’t take a huge leap but go step by step.
- Remember ‘The hare and the tortoise’ story! Slow and steady wins the race. Keep working slowly and consistently towards your goal.
- Have patience. Nothing can be achieved overnight. Then how could you expect to be perfect just like that?
- Learn from the failures. Reflect and see where you went wrong. Mistakes are the lessons for future.
- Don’t be afraid of criticism. Fear of criticism will never let you grow in life.
- Practice, practice, practice till you get it right.
A little bit of reflection helped in cheering me up and I continue with my sketching attempts. Hits or misses…But both will help me to be better at the art.
© 2017 Shaloo Walia All rights reserved